17 October 2020
3 Minute Step Test
You will need:
– A step approximately 30 cm high (you could use the bottom step on the stairs).
– A stop watch or clock.
– A metronome counter set at 96bpm (use this video link here – please right click to open in new tab).
1. Start the metronome counter, and set yourself a timer for 3 minutes.
2. Step on and off the step one foot at a time (up, up, down, down), stepping at a consistent pace to the beat of the metronome counter.
3. Perform this for 3 minutes without stopping. If you need to rest at any point, try to remain standing.
4. Once the 3 minutes is up, check your pulse. Count the number of beats for 60 seconds. Record this number and submit using the form below.
We suggest you do your ‘Resting Heart Rate’ test before you carry out this test, as this will teach you how to measure your pulse. You can follow the link here.